Welcome to the Bureau of Air Pollution Control
The mission of the Bureau of Air Pollution Control (BAPC) is to achieve and maintain levels of air quality which will protect human health and safety, prevent injury to plant and animal life, prevent damage to property, and preserve visibility and the scenic, esthetic and historic values of the State.
This mission is accomplished through reasonable, fair and consistent implementation of state and federal air quality rules and regulations. The authority for BAPC to implement air pollution control requirements has been established in Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS) 445B.100 through 445B.825, inclusive, and NRS 486A.010 through 486A.180, inclusive.
The BAPC has jurisdiction of air quality programs over all counties in the State except for Washoe and Clark Counties. These counties have their own distinct Air Quality jurisdictions with the BAPC retaining jurisdiction of (only) fossil fuel-fired units that generate steam for electrical production.
Check our sister agency Bureau of Air Quality Planning (BAQP) regarding ambient air monitoring, mobile sources, smoke management, planning, regional haze, increment tracking, Pahrump non-attainment and emissions auditing.
At a Glance
• The Air Quality Permitting Program permits Major sources (Title V, PSD & Class I), Minor Sources (Class II & III) and portable, temporary sources (General & COLAs).
• The Compliance and Enforcement Program works with the Air Quality Permitting Program and the Nevada Mercury Control Program to ensure permit compliance.
• The Chemical Accident Prevention Program ensures the safe and adequate handling of hazardous chemicals produced, used, stored or handled; and explosives that are manufactured for sale in this state.
• The Nevada Mercury Control Program requires mercury emissions controls on thermal units located at precious metal mines.
New NAAQS Standards
• Notice to permit holders regarding new NAAQS standards - Notice Letter
• Detailed information regarding modeling requirements for the new NAAQS standards - Modeling Details
• The NDEP Air Bureaus will initiate a series of public workshops to discuss permitting and modeling under the new standards. The first meeting will be held January 6, 2015, at 1:00 PM. The meeting location is the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) Third Floor Conference Room, located at 1263 South Stewart St., Carson City NV 89712. No pre-registration is required.
• Reference material for modeling guidelines - 2008 Modeling Guidelines
• Please see the updated organizational chart (May 14, 2014) for current BAPC staff contact information.